It was a very pretty day for working outside! So I decided to winterize a shelter for our bucks that was in dire need of a makeover.
Here the shelter is before anything was done to it. It was like a wind tunnel.
Always keep your hay rope! Comes in handy for projects like these.
First, I hung a thick quilt on the open side, cutting 4 slits in the top, then stringing hay rope through over the roof, and attaching it to the other side. Yes, it's pretty okie-looking, but it works :)
Attached hay rope.
Then, I cut two slits in the sides, and wrapped the blanket around the poles.
The side is done.
I started on the wall by digging about a 3" trench, then setting a board inside the trench. Then I attached wire to the inside of the board, and nailed a piece of metal on the outside of the board, leaving a space in between the wire and metal wall. I used the little space to put insulation in (junk blankets and fabric). Then I added a support beam at the end.
Another view of the wall.
I added a coroplast board to finish the wall. I put a pallet on the side behind the quilt, and leaned a pole up to secure it. Done! It's pretty warm inside already :)
Jasper, already enjoying the shelter