Dec 23, 2012

Winterizing a Shelter


It was a very pretty day for working outside!  So I decided to winterize a shelter for our bucks that was in dire need of a makeover.

Here the shelter is before anything was done to it.  It was like a wind tunnel.


Always keep your hay rope! Comes in handy for projects like these.


First, I hung a thick quilt on the open side, cutting 4 slits in the top, then stringing hay rope through over the roof, and attaching it to the other side. Yes, it's pretty okie-looking, but it works :)

Attached hay rope.


Then, I cut two slits in the sides, and wrapped the blanket around the poles.


The side is done.


 I started on the wall by digging about a 3" trench, then setting a board inside the trench. Then I attached wire to the inside of the board, and nailed a piece of metal on the outside of the board, leaving a space in between the wire and metal wall. I used the little space to put insulation in (junk blankets and fabric). Then I added a support beam at the end.


Another view of the wall.


I added a coroplast board to finish the wall. I put a pallet on the side behind the quilt, and leaned a pole up to secure it.  Done! It's pretty warm inside already :)

Jasper, already enjoying the shelter

Stay warm!
~Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Jasper is so cute! I love how you took so many things that were already "around" and made a good shelter. :D
    (BTW, this is @myhorsemontana from Instagram ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, hey Grace! Thanks for the nice comment and the visit :) Yeah, he's a big sweetie, lol! Should be posting more soon :D

    ReplyDelete