Feb 20, 2011

Indy Kidded!

All I can say is WOW!  It's been a very exciting, yet stressful week here on the ranch.  Emotions have gone from high to low...to high again.

After a week of waking up every hour, round the clock to check on Indy (the pregnant doe), that grueling schedule finally ended on February 16th, 2011!  I was out milking, then noticed her acting a little stranger than usual.  It was at 11:30 a.m. that she went into full blown labor (my guess was that she was going to throw triplets).  At about 12:15 p.m., she started to push.  Then, the bubble was out and I was on high alert, checking to see what we were dealing with, ie.  breach, normal presentation, one leg, etc.  I saw a little nose and one foot, but not the other.  A healthy little buckling landed in my arms (the other leg was just folded back) and the barn erupted into screaming, yelling, laughing and...sighs of relief from me!  But it wasn't over yet...

Less than 5 minutes later, a second bubble came out, this time it was back feet first (we've never dealt with that before).  After me giving it a little tug, a beautiful and colorful doeling saw outside of the womb for the first time!  It took about 15 minutes after that for the third bubble to come, and that kid came out fast!  Another little doeling, brown just like her brother.

There's a trick called "bouncing", and this is where you wrap your arms around the doe's belly, latch your hands together and pull the doe's stomach up towards your face.  This is used to see if another kid is still up inside the doe.

So I did this on her a couple of minutes after the 3rd kid was born, and felt another kid.  I was so excited and happy that she could produce that many kids!  Anyway, my excitement started to "flush down the drain" after about an hour and a half of waiting.  Indy didn't have much strength left to push the fourth kid out.  A doe can wait a couple of hours in between kids, so I had that in the back of my mind.  Now 2 hours had passed and I decided to stick my hand up there and see what's wrong.  All lubed up, I was in, up to my wrist in her and felt bones, a head and...I don't really know, but it felt like a jumbled mess in there.  I had to pull it out, no matter if it was alive or dead.  I pulled and pulled, and then saw a leg hanging out, lifelessly...then I knew that it didn't make it :(  My hopefulness was at 0% when I saw that.  It came out wrapped in a membrane attached to the placenta.  The kid wasn't fully developed...It kinda looked like a dinosaur/bird...weirdest thing I've seen in a while!

I bounced her again and there were no more kids, thankfully.  I was more than thankful with the 3 that survived!  This was a huge learning experience and I hope other people will learn from this as well.
Here are some pics of the new arrivals!  (LaMancha goats naturally do not have ears, so don't worry, nothing's wrong ;)
Roxy (foreground)
Snickers (2nd kid)
Buckling (far right)
Snickers
She just looks like a little brat, doesn't she?
The second part of the story will continue in another post.

Thanks for reading!  Hope you all enjoyed :)

To be continued...

10 comments:

  1. There are few things cuter than baby goats, in my opinion anyway. Ours are due to kid in 2-3 weeks, I can't wait! Thanks for sharing this at the Homestead Barn Hop! Hope to see you next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all adorable! I am SO thrilled to have stumbbled upon your blog. I found it through Homestead Revival's blog hop...and I'm learning SO much! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to hear the rest of Indy's story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Thank you so much for your comments :) I will hopefully be posting it tonight sometime, so keep your eyes peeled!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the three new kids! And so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on the barn hop. I'm a city girl daydreaming about moving out to the country and having my own farmette. These blogs are so informative - I always find something for my "someday" file. I never heard about "bouncing" before. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm surprised she had four kids in there! Sorry the last little one wasn't quite right. But man, what a blessing the three little cuties are!! Congratulations. I've still got a lot to learn about goats in general. This is good stuff to know :)

    Thanks for linking up to our Barn Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, she definitely did not look like she had four, lol! I am very thankful for the 3 I got :) Thank you all for commenting!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so cute! I had goats when I was a kid.
    I'm now following you from Giveaway Corner Saturday Social. Would love to have you stop by my blogs.

    Have a great weekend,
    Kelly
    www.CouponsCraftsandCauses.com
    http://IndianaInker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my gosh! How cute are they? :) Stopping by to say hello fro The Saturday Social at the Giveaway Corner! Stop by and say hi when you get a chance!

    Chanin & Alexis
    www.themomsnextdoor.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm stopping by from Giveaway Corner's Saturday Social.
    Wow, what an experience! They are so cute, and I had no idea that some goats don't have ears!

    ReplyDelete